Wet and Aggressive Corella challenges Magpie

Wet and Aggressive Corella challenges Magpie

Friday 29 April 2011

Gamblers' Pot Luck

I am not a gambler, but may have to change.  My Gamblers' Pot Luck Collection of bulbs has just arrived.  More planting my bones and muscles complain.  Treats ahead the rest of me cries.

It is a very clever idea.  The garden company makes packages of the bulbs they have left in uneconomical numbers and sends them out to people who are prepared to take a punt.  You have no input into what you receive, but they guarantee that for $45 you will get at least $90 worth of bulbs.

And I am not arguing.  Today I received:
3 City of Vancouver Tulips (white)
3 Ad Rem Tulips (bright orange)
5 Yellow Hoop Petticoat Narcissus
5 White Hoop Petticoat Narcissus
5 Pinky-lilac Meadow Saffron bulbs
3 Honey Hush Daffodils (yellow petals, pink cup)
3 Mirar Daffodils (yellow petals, orange cup)
3 Changing Colour Daffodils (white petals, pink to white cup)
3 Honkey Daffodils (white petals, orange cup)
3 Falconet Daffodils (yellow/orange)
1 Spycatcher Daffodil  (white petals, yellow cup)
1 Asto Daffodil (white petals, white cup, split corona) and
5 Texas Gold Dutch Iris.

Many of them are sprouting and need to go in the ground fairly quickly.  Not quite sure where they are all going to fit either.  But fit they will.

11 comments:

  1. You could dig up your lawn? Just kidding. I'm sure you'll find space for them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a real melting pot of 43 bulbs you've got there just imagine the colours when they finally start flowering very magical indeed :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it sounds like a jackpot of bulbs. I like River's suggestion - funnily enough they often have bulbs in the lawn here. You just mow around them while they are active.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have much lawn left, and may just have to take up River's suggestion. And certainly will if we are as crazed next year. When these last ones go in, there will be close to 1000 bulbs added to an already crowded garden. Obsessions. Greed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a cast list from a James Bond movie! Hope they look great when they come up... can't wait for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds lovely!


    Warm Aloha from Waikiki


    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Floriade should relocate to your house. "Bulbaholics' floriade"...very excited to see the colourful results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you've got some work ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love all of the Daffodills. I have so many I lost count, all over my property. The squirells leave them alone, and they split every year. Beautiful photographs on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't know what to do with them all!! I truly do admire people who can have plants growing, glowing around them. I'm just no good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wordsfallfrommyeyes: There are plants I cannot grow - but bulbs are forgiving. Very forgiving. Stick them in the ground and give them some fertiliser and they reward you with colour. And scent.

      Delete